Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

LUNCHABLES JR. - Little Snacks for Little Boys

It's always fun to get a package in the mail. My son helped me open it, and asked me what it was. "It's a couple packages of snacks," I told him. "You get to have a friend come over and try them with you."
He was excited to have a play-date and try something new. I was excited to try my first product sampling and review. So we scheduled a play-date. The boys would get to play and then when they got hungry they would each get a package of LUNCHABLES JR. snacks to eat and a juice box to drink. We also created a simple tic-tac-toe board that they could use to play a game with.
The boys had fun playing with each other and could hardly wait for snack time. When it did arrive, they had their first debate: who was going to get which package of snacks. They had two flavors to choose from: "Ants on a Log" (Honey Graham Sticks, Sun-Maid Raisins, and a small cup of peanut butter) and "Very Beary Crunch" (Teddy Grahams Honey Graham Snacks, Ritz Bits Cheese Cracker Sandwiches, and Strawberry flavored dried apple pieces). My son chose the "Ants on a Log" because he loves peanut butter and his friend doesn't so he chose the "Very Beary Crunch." Once the choice was made quickly and the food and fun continued.
The boys then tried to play a game of tic-tac-toe using the snacks and the game board that I made, but they were much more interested in eating the snacks than they were in playing the game. So after they obligingly took a couple of pictures of their game, they worked on the primary purpose of this snack time: eating the snacks and figuring out what they liked best about them. It's not always easy to get young boys to tell you what they like and don't like about food, but through observation and the few answers I was able to get the some feedback about the snacks. The crackers were a hit with both boys. They both preferred the graham crackers to the cheese crackers. My son liked the peanut butter and the raisins on the his Honey Graham Sticks, but his friend didn't like either the apple pieces, raisins, or the peanut butter. Neither one of them was hungry enough that afternoon to eat all of their snacks though and I was left with left-over snacks.
From a parent's point of view, the LUNCHABLES JR.snacks are a great idea. They are healthy snacks in compact packaging and they are fun to both eat and to play with. They will fit easily into a purse or diaper bag and I can definitely see myself using them again the future. It would have been nice to have the packages resealable - maybe a separated pouch or something - so it would have been easier to save them for later, but that is something I can plan for in the future.
On another note, although the boys didn't necessarily like all of the choices, my 18 month old daughter thought that they were the best thing ever. She quickly devoured all of the remaining Teddy Grahams and ate quite a few of the dried apple pieces and raisins with very little prompting.

Overall, my kids and I really enjoyed this experience. The LUNCHABLES JR. snacks were fun and my kids really enjoyed them. It's also nice that there are a few varieties to choose from. That way I can match my child's preference to the type of snacks that are being purchased. I probably wouldn't purchase them very often, but they would work well for a planned outing or a longer drive in the car.

**Product samples and program incentives were received as compensation for this product review. Product testing and review were performed in compliance with guidelines provided by Crowdtap and JUNCHABLES JR.**

No comments:

Post a Comment